mr. N.J. (Nik) de Boer LLM
Faculty of Law
Dep. Private Law A
Oudemanhuispoort 4-6 Amsterdam
1012 CN Amsterdam
Bio Nik de Boer
Nik de Boer is a postdoctoral researcher at the Amsterdam Centre for Contemporary European Studies (ACCESS EUROPE) at the Faculty of Law at the University of Amsterdam. He is affiliated with both the Centre for the Study of European Contract Law (CSECL) as well as the Amsterdam Centre for European Law and Governance (ACELG). As postdoctoral researcher Nik will work on a research project that aims to understand whether and how the EU law on free movement of capital has contributed to a supposed crisis of democratic capitalism. Prior to becoming a postdoctoral researcher, Nik worked as a PhD candidate at ACELG. Nik’s doctoral research concerned the democratic legitimacy of the national constitutional courts’ review of European law. This project was supervised by Prof. Deirdre Curtin, Prof. Leonard Besselink and Dr. Ingo Venzke and he hopes to defend his thesis later this year. As part of his doctoral research Nik worked as an intern at the European Court of Justice in the spring of 2013, was a visiting researcher at Harvard Law School in the fall of 2014 and a visiting fellow at the Center for Global Constitutionalism of the WZB, Berlin Social Science Centre, in the spring of 2015.
Nik holds an LLM degree in Legal Research from Utrecht University (cum laude). For his Master Thesis Constitutional Identity, Fundamental Rights and the Issue of Divergent Rights Standards in the EU he received the Prize for Best Master Thesis of Utrecht University in 2012, as well as the Max van der Stoel Human Rights Award. Prior to finishing his LLM, Nik obtained a bachelor in law and a bachelor in philosophy from Utrecht University (both awarded cum laude). During his bachelor studies Nik spent a year at King's College, University of Cambridge, where he studied jurisprudence and comparative law. During his studies he was an editor of the Dutch law journal Ars Aequi and an intern at the Permanent Mission of the Netherlands to the United Nations in New York for six months in 2010.
- EU Constitutional Law
- Free Movement of Capital
- Economic and Monetary Union
- Fundamental Rights
- Comparative Constitutional Law
- Democratic and Constitutional Theory
Europees Recht I (LL.B)
Europees Recht II (LL.B)
- de Boer, N. J. (2018). The False Promise of Constitutional Pluralism. In M. Avbelj, & G. Davies (Eds.), A research handbook of Legal Pluralism and EU law Edward Elgar. [details]
- de Boer, N. J. (2013). Constitutional identity, fundamental rights and the issue of divergent rights standards in the EU: a normative enquiry. Utrecht: Science Shop of Law, Economics and Governance, Utrecht University. [details]
- de Boer, N. J., (2014). Case note: ECJ (Grand Chamber) (Secret evidence and due process rights under EU law: ZZ: Case C-300/11, ZZ v. Secretary of State for the Home Department), Jun 04, 2013. (Common Market Law Review; Vol. 51, No. 4). [details]
- de Boer, N., (2013). Case note: CJEU (Grand Chamber) (Addressing rights divergences under the Charter: Melloni, Case C-399/11, Stefano Melloni v. Ministerio Fiscal, Judgment of the Court (Grand Chamber) of 26 February 2013, nyr), Feb 26, 2013. (Common Market Law Review; Vol. 50, No. 4). [details]
- de Boer, N. J. (2012). [Review of: T. Ginsburg, R. Dixon (2011) Comparative constitutional law]. Common Market Law Review, 49(4), 1508-1510. [details]
- de Boer, N. J., Dijkman, L., & van Kampen, S. (2012). The changing role of principles in the European multi-layered legal order: conference report of the symposium 'Principles and the Law', Utrecht University, 25 May 2011. European Review of Private Law, 20(2), 425-434. [details]
- de Boer, N. (2011). [Review of: A. Torres Pérez (2009) Conflicts of rights in the European Union: a theory of supranational adjudication]. Common Market Law Review, 48(4), 1349-1353. [details]
- Abazi, V. (Author), de Boer, N. J. (Author), & Hillebrandt, M. Z. (Author). (2013). ACELG Workshop "Secrecy and the European Union: A Democratic Perspective". BlogActiv. [details]
- de Boer, N. J. (Author). (2013). Interview with Judge Sacha Prechal Part II: Cooperation with national judges, embedding the internal market and transparency at the CJEU - See more at: http://europeanlawblog.eu/?p=2118#sthash.V15XY56c.dpuf. [details]
- de Boer, N. J. (Author). (2013). Interview with Judge Sacha Prechal of the European Court of Justice: Part I: Working at the CJEU. [details]
- de Boer, N. J. (Author). (2012). Uniformity or deference to national constitutional traditions in the protection of fundamental rights? Opinion AG Bot in Case C-399/11 Melloni. European Law Blog. [details]
- de Boer, N., & Hillebrandt, M. (2012). Europa is iets geworden om voor of tegen te zijn. Trouw. [details]
- de Boer, Nik (17-02-2017): UvA-juristen gaan EU-debat ‘structureel factchecken’ [Web] folia. UvA-juristen gaan EU-debat ‘structureel factchecken’.
- de Boer, Nik, van Eijk, Nico & Schafraad, Pytrik (23-05-2015): Hoe krijgen we Sepp Blatter weg? Interview door Michiel Hulshof en Menno van der Veen [Print] Vrij Nederland. Hoe krijgen we Sepp Blatter weg? Interview door Michiel Hulshof en Menno van der Veen.
Keynote / Invited lecture
- de Boer, Nik (speaker) (21-2-2017): Soevereiniteit, democratie en de Grondwet, Juridisch Forum Ministerie van Binnenlandse Zaken en Koninkrijksrelaties, Den Haag, Netherlands.
- de Boer, Nik (speaker) (9-2-2017): Judging European Democracy, VU Centre for European Legal Studies Seminar, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- de Boer, Nik (speaker) & Majastre, Christophe (speaker) (29-10-2016): With the Law on our Side: Judicialisation and Juridification of German EU politics in the Euro-crisis, European Sociological Association.
- No ancillary activities